Thursday, June 21, 2007

Letter from Senator Coleman

I am working on a preview story for WCCO about all the Liberian immigrants in the Twin Cities on Temporary Relief Protective Status. That means people who have been here for more than ten years will be deported on October 1st. They will be going back to an unemployment rate of more than 80%.

Scott wrote to US Senator Norm Coleman (R-MN) about this and this is the response he got:

Dear Mr. Richardson:

You may be interested to know that Senator Jack Reed (D-RI) introduced the Liberian Refugee Immigration Fairness Act of 2007 (S. 656) on February 16, 2007. This bill would provide permanent resident status adjustment for Liberian nationals who have lived in the United StatesJanuary 1, 2007 and allow a stay of removal for Liberian nationals subject to deportation while their applications for permanent resident status are pending. This bill has been referred to the Senate Judiciary Committee where it awaits further action. Please know that I will take your views into account should S. 656 reach the Senate floor.

All in all, I am proud of my support for the people of Liberia. On June 25, 2003, I joined with three of my colleagues in calling on President Bush to ensure U.S. involvement in restoring peace in Liberia, which helped accelerate the end of Charles Taylor's regime. I also cosponsored an amendment in 2003 which provided $200 million for the reconstruction of Liberia. At the end of the day, I continue to believe we need comprehensive immigration reform, including strong border and interior enforcement, improved employer verification, and a guest worker program that allows long-time residents to earn a legalized status.

Thank you once again for contacting me. I value your advice. If I may be of further assistance to you in the future, please do not hesitate to contact me again.

Sincerely,

Norm Coleman
United States Senate

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm impressed you took the time to write and impressed he answered. Way to go -- you're out to make a difference! Mom R.