Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Remembering When.....


It was about this time (Liberia is 5 hours ahead of us) one year ago we met A&E. What a year its been! Today is also Annie's birthday. We are laying low, three of us, (not the children with the immunity of horses which would be A&E!) have the stomach flu. Yuck. But Annie already appears a bit better and I had to sit up for a while.
It's hard to remember our lives before Abegail and Emmanuel. From the time we got our referral January 10th, 2007 until we met them one year ago, it seemed like forever. The year since has gone lighting fast. The kids were so small a year ago. So quiet when we first met them. Now our lives are filled with counselors, case managers, and social workers. But we have made tons of progress, actually the kids have made the progress we just stood by and watched. Someone who had adopted himself said to me, "the first year is always a blur. You don't really know what you've gotten yourself into, but its good you don't know or no one would ever do it." So true. But two weeks ago I finally breathed and thought, I think the first 50 weeks are the hardest. I do feel like its getting easier, E-man is making progress, he has some rough moments but I see progress in everything we can do that we couldn't do at one time. And now I have this relationship with this man half way around the world who I call once a month to say, your kids are fine, how are you and how are your other children? We barely know Alexander but have this huge connection with him. And last week Scott and I figured out A&E have given us the biggest gift anyone could ever get.

Quotes from Annie:
A: Mommy, what do you want to be when you grow up, a princess or a doctor?

5 comments:

The Googeg's said...

It's good! Some blessings are more work than others, but who would want to miss a blessing?

Debbie

Karin Phifer, AZ said...

Hi Richardsons,
it's very strange this internet blogging. You don't know me at all, and yet I've been faithfully following your story for over a year now. I've hoped for you, laughed about the stuff that's happened, celebrated progress, hear about Mr Suzuki and Eman's prowess on the soccer field.
On your family's anniversary I wanted to congratulate all of you and wish you the very very best for the years to come. I do hope you continue this blog. I find it endlessly fascinating.
Again, the best of luck, patience, and lots of love for all of you!

gretchen said...

And your blessings have given me the blessing of meeting your family...Congratulations on your anniversary!

Shelby & Lori said...

Sue,
I cannot believe it has been a year! I was so excited for you to go get your children and so stressed over your travel woes. I am so glad all the kids are home and that things seem to be getting better and better for your family. I am very, very happy for you.

Anonymous said...

We have enjoyed reading your internet blog and eagerly look forward to each new entry.
The children are so adorable and you have blessed them enormously.
Little Annie, how can she be 4 already! I loved her watermelon cake and darling pictures of her modeling her dancing dress. She is so precious.
Congratulations on the first anniversary of your new family.
Please tell Abegail that I love her newest hairdue! I wish we could watch E-man play soccer someday. What a great player!
Blessings to you and thanks again for sharing this site. love Uncle Chuck and Kathy