Friday, September 26, 2008

My Psychic Friends Connection

Guess who I got to meet yesterday?? Dionne Warwick. She was in our studios promoting a new children's book. Usually when someone of interest comes by I watch and sneak a peak but never go up and meet them. (lets be honest, I never have a clue who they are) But with Dionne Warwick it was different, I constantly say in conversation, "I didn't renew my subscription to Dionne Warwick's psychic friends network so I don't know." No, I did not ask Dionne Warwick about her stint as the host of psychic friends but I did ask her about her grandkids, six in all. She says five of them live in LA, she lives in New Jersey. I said, "oh so you don't get to see them that much." She said, "no I see them all the time, it's only a five hour flight or they come see me." Duh, she's not too worried about the cost of plane tickets these days.
Anyway celebrities are always smaller in person and that was true with Dionne who showed up for our interview in a baseball cap and yoga sweats. She's 68 now and complained she doesn't sleep, things are non stop, and frankly she's tired, but hasn't figured out life yet. I'm thinking that sounds like someone I know.
Presidential Politics: The Waiting Game. Last week John McCain and Sarah Palin made a 30 minute campaign stop in the Twin Cities. Campaign stops remind me of weddings. The planning is immense, the event a whirlwind. All the press has to get there and be set up hours ahead of time, last week it was a five hour wait. The venues are newly painted, the floors waxed, the amount of security personnel could outfit six major airports and still have enough substitutes for TSA members to take lunch. With a few cheers, a few signs, a few portable teleprompters, the speeches are over, and the campaign buses, and motorcade are off. The media has bonded with each other killing time by reading newspapers, watching movies on portable laptops, chatting about how our business is going down the tubes, and waiting in line for the restroom. And every other exchange sounds like whiny kids in the back of a station wagon, "are we there yet." "Are we done?" "Is it November 4th yet??"

THE WICKED WITCH OF THE WEST!

My kids are following their originial plan, SINCE FEBRUARY, to be the characters of the Wizard of OZ for Halloween. Annie's wicked witch costume arrived today. While the other two kids have gone back and forth on who they will be Annie was always definite about being the wicked witch. There was never any question. Now to perfect the "I'll get you my pretty." The other kids asked when their costumes are coming. Any day, I say..as soon as I win the bidding on e-bay. E-man will be the Tin Man, Abegail Dorothy. They wanted Scott and I to dress up, I thought, do I really need a costume to say, "if I only had a brain?"

Anxious Quotes from Emmanuel:
E: Mommy do I have soccer when I wake up.
M: No honey, tomorrow you have school.
E: When I go to bed and wake up again, then do I have soccer?
M: No honey you have to go to bed three more times and then when you wake up you will have soccer.

1 comment:

The Googeg's said...

How could she be the wicked witch of the west with that big smile?

DEB