Tuesday, December 30, 2008

The Aftermath

I am taking down the fragile Christmas decorations. If I don't we will have to keep the pumpkins up as decorations next year. I mean really how much superglue can one person buy? We have had a great and eventful week and a half and through it all Emmanuel did amazingly well. He really tried hard and it is such an effort for him. We met with his teacher today and quickly have realized he needs to get back to his structure and lay low for a bit though.

One of the highlights of the past few days was meeting Scott's cousin Lynn. One of Scott's other cousins lives nearby and bravely had a bunch of us over on Saturday morning. Scott has always raved about Lynn and every time we talk about him says, "you've never met him have you?" Lynn and his wife Kristine adopted two boys from Russia. Kristine and I found each other quickly and found we speak the same language and compared stories. It doesn't matter what country, adoption brings you into a unique club. Grandma Charlene and Grandpa Arthur left early yesterday morning and made it back to Oklahoma safely. But not before Grandpa and Abegail joined the clean plate club.
Grandma Charlene will be back on Monday. (She can't get enough of my cooking) Scott is having knee surgery Tuesday. So she will come to make sure I don't get admitted to the mental ward (not that there's anything wrong with that, it often sounds restful) since Scott won't be able to chase after the short people in the house. (It is about me afterall isn't it?) Scott is having microfracture knee surgery. Has anyone had it? How long is the recovery? In other words how long can I let him milk this??? I'm thinking he should be back plowing the driveway by the weekend, anyone? I mean its a knee surgery not a quadruple bypass right???

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sue,

I have had full knee replacement on both knees. I am not sure what is involved in Scott's. But I was back to mowing and doing everything in a couple of weeks. But, this last one in March was so much easier than the one 6 years ago.I had therapy for 3 to 4 weeks. So, I would say in 4 weeks he should be back to full go. (Just a guess though.

Joyce (Val's Mom)

Richardson Family said...

Joyce...you're killin' me here!! How can I compete w/ that??? :-)

All doctors thus far have said 4-6 week non-weight bearing w/ crutches. PT will start after 3-4 weeks. Sounds like I should just get a full knee replacement?

- Scott

Anonymous said...

scott,

Full knee replacement they had me up and walking the next day. But when I broke my ankle I was in a wheel chair 4 months and on a walker two months with slight weight on foot when I went on the walker. My ankle was shattered and just took a long time to heal because of my age. You have something inside that needs to heal without pressure so the one thing I have learned over the years is to listen to your doctor and do what he says or you will regret it. Gook luck on the surgery be glad your Mother can help.

Joyce

Bob, Carie, Taylor, Oswald, and Friday said...

Good luck Scott!! And yes, I agree, the mental ward does sound nice sometimes...I think you can sleep there all you want and eat without getting up to the demands of a little one 15 times ;)

Valerie said...

Scott,

Sounds like Mom tried to help you out on the second pass. I personally think the quad bypass is a faster recovery. Sorry Sue, life is going to suck for a while for both of you! Hang in there! Wish we were closer to help out! OK has a lot of nice land for cheap. Still a few houses in the neighborhood for sale! Well, just a thought! Valerie

Anonymous said...

Hey,
Thanks for saying such nice things about me! I'm not sure that they are true. The knee --thing after my full ++++ replacement I had PT the same day! So get up and get moving!!!

Lynn

Richardson Family said...

I never did like you, Lynn! :)