Wednesday, December 24, 2008

Photographic Moments

The Turner Family: Front row, Chase English (4), Annie (4); Second Row Cameron English (6), Grandma Marian, Grandpa Chuck, Owen English (8); Middle, Abegail (8), Emmanuel (5); Back Row; Auntie Caroline, Uncle Mark, Zoe English, Scott, and Sue

We arrived home from DC on Monday safe and sound. I actually split up from Scott and the kids because we got stuck in DC. I had to be at work that afternoon and they couldn't get us all back at the same time. So Scott was stuck with the three kids and several multi-hour layovers from noon until 11 on Monday night. Emmanuel did remarkably well on this trip. But by the end you could tell he was itching. He had been fairly patient, even enough so we got a family photo in, and it was all too much. By the time Scott reached Atlanta a full melt down was brewing and overflowing. One look and Emmanuel just couldn't take it anymore. For an hour Emmanuel tried to get it out of his system until Scott finally got him calm. Then both exhausted, Scott stayed with E-man while the girls went to the restroom a few feet away. However they took a wrong turn out of the ladies room and ended up 30 gates from where they started. Luckily a police lady (that's what they called her) stayed with them until Scott got nervous and caught up with them. Abegail was slightly worried, Annie was dancing and singing not phased in the least bit.
Eventually they made it home and it was all worth it. We had a great visit with my family. The kids got along well with their cousins and enjoyed all the activities (especially the gift exchange)from the jingle bell hunt to the daily runs with Grandpa Chuck. We also went to see the National Christmas Tree and the kids got to see the outside of the White House.
I came home to 12 degrees below zero and was sent right from the airport to a raging apartment fire. I don't think I've ever been that painfully cold. But at least I had a home to go to. There were 190 people displaced by the fire, 1/3 of them on subsidized housing. A day after the building burned someone donated a million dollars to be divided by the 64 families living there. In all the people received more than 17-thousand dollars in donations to get there lives back on track. If this was your year you were wondering whether or not St. Nick was real, there's your answer.

Grandma Charlene and Grandpa Arthur arrived tonight from Oklahoma. The kids were so excited I'm pretty sure steam was coming out of E-man's head. Grandpa read 'Twas the Night Before Christmas' and they were off to bed. Merry Christmas to all and to all.....a good night!


gretchen said...

Merry Christmas to you, too! I am so glad that you had a nice time and way to go Scott to get the kids home solo! That is impressive.

And more family/reinforcements at home, too. Sounds good. We will catch up with you next week sometime.

Tori LOVED her doll (squeals, screams and everything I was hoping for...)

Shelby and Lori said...

Glad everyone is home safely. Thinking of you.

Nancy said...

Scott, you are a Saint! I'm talking only about the airport incident and experience, of course. Glad you all had such a great Christmas.