Sunday, January 4, 2009

Emmanuel's Head Case



With a child with the initials of ER it was bound to happen. But even I am shocked we went 18 months without a visit to the emergency room or urgent care. That was until yesterday.
We attempted to go sledding and ice skating with the Petersons. Janie loaned me and all the kids ice skates. I put Emmanuel's skates on first. But as soon as we got to the outdoor rink he said he wanted the ice skates off and wanted to go sledding. "OK, let's go to the warming house and switch your shoes." But Emmanuel wouldn't hear of it. He wanted his skates off right then and there. I began to change his shoes while he complained his hands were cold. Finally he was ready and off he went.

I attempted to get Annie ready. When we finally came out with our skates on, Emmanuel was sitting at the bottom of the hill, with two Dads, crying. I tried to walk over to him in my ice skates and promptly fell on my behind. When I got to him, they told me he had fallen and hit his head pretty hard. I took him to the warming house and he already had a goose egg on his head. He cried and cried and said he wanted to go home. I got him in the car and as I was driving home he immediately started to fall asleep. I'm thinking of all the things that could happen from "swelling in the brain" and how am I going to explain "sledding accident" to his African Papa.
Janie's kids later told us what happened, "he hit the big bump on the sledding hill, fell 4 1/2 feet in the air on the back of his head and slid the rest of the way down the hill on his head." OK, that sounds significant.

After two hours he was still crying and his head was still big so Scott decided to take him to Urgent Care. Long story short, E-man should be just fine. We just have to watch him and not allow him to go sledding or participate in activities where he could hit his head again for 7 days. I don't think E-man is too excited to go sledding again anyway. He is a true African at heart and isn't a fan of the cold or these winter sports.

Abegail and Annie did have fun, and Abegail did great on the ice skates.

Quotes From Emmanuel:
Out of the blue the other day, while he was playing catch, E-man threw the ball over Annie's head and said "My bad!!" He may be African at heart but he has the American lingo down!

Man of the House
Scott and I attempted to talk to the kids about his surgery and what was going to happen and how Grandma Charlene was going to help them. Scott told Emmanuel, he'd have to shovel the driveway now since Daddy wouldn't be able too. Emmanuel decided he now would have to be the Man of the House.

5 comments:

The Googeg's said...

Such a boy thing! We used to say that Braydon had his annual ER visit.

Valerie said...

Eman hang tough big guy! Glad you are not too hurt!

Shelby and Lori said...

Poor guy! Give him a big hug from us!

Bob, Carie, Taylor, Oswald, and Friday said...

Ouch! Glad to hear he's ok!!

Nancy said...

I couldn't believe it when you said the Dr. told you just to be sure Eman didn't fall on his head again in the next seven days. Charlie broke his arm in the first grade falling off a jungle gym, and the day he got the cast off, the doctor said, make sure he doesn't fall down again for a while. Tell that to a six year old. That night he fell out of a hammock and broke his arm again!! You better strap Eman down! Sorry you had such a scare!
Hug him for me,
Nancy