Saturday, January 24, 2009

Riding Bessie

This is Scott's life. He has to be in this contraption six hours a day to rebuild cartilage in his knee. We got tired of calling it the contraption so we named it Bessie. He is constantly counting to six trying to figure out how many more hours he has to ride Bessie. He is not hard to find. I, on the other hand, have never been harder to find. I am not even trying to pretend to anyone that I am "on my game." In fact I have no intention of being back in the game until the middle or end of February when Scott gets off the crutches. I think I might be back on my game in the summer of 2022. By then I suspect I won't even know what a game is.

The kids on the other hand have sympathy pains. They hop around on one foot imitating Daddy. You ask them to do something and they act like their legs are broken. Then you ask them again and they appear to have gone deaf. They leave things smack in the middle of where Scott will need to hop and act as if they are blind to that fact.

I have, just by coincidence, had the opportunity to spend time with each of the kids individually in the past two weeks. First it was Emmanuel, when the girls fell asleep. I took him to the Y and we went swimming together afterwards. It struck me then how much more we are alike than different. Emmanuel has a very discontent side to him, he is just not at peace and I don't know that he ever will be. He is happiest when he is playing or working on a project by himself. He is definitely happier working toward a goal (with the exception of cleaning the playroom) and loves to be active. He is easily annoyed and gets out of sorts easily. He is my Emmanuel.

Abegail and I ended up going to the mall last week. I had to run errands and I thought it would be good to bring her along. We ended up having a date and eating supper. It is when it is just the two of us that she begins to talk about Africa and this night was no exception. I asked her, "Did you think you would get everything you wanted when you came to America?" Without hesitation she said yes. What a shock it must have been to learn there is a difference between needs and wants.

Yesterday was my day to volunteer at Annie's school. I had a great time being around her friends and seeing her day. We've been encouraging her to stand up for herself when she is around Abegail and particularly Emmanuel. Unfortunately it came out in preschool the other day when she told one of the little girls she could beat her up. Who knew anyone was listening to me? She is getting excited for the ballet recital coming up this weekend, she says, "I can't wait to be on stage." Today she joined Abegail and me when we went to buy tap shoes for Abegail. She knew we were not buying shoes for her but she wanted to come because she said, "I can't wait to try on shoes." Whose daughter is this???

Emmanuel has started testing for special education for next year. The closer we get to kindergarten the less confidence I have Emmanuel will be in a mainstream classroom. But there are about 10 hours to the testing so I am hopeful the right decision will be made.Abegail has changed her hair again...this time it was a relaxer at Fantastic Sams. I tried to get a relaxer that wasn't for your hair, but they just looked at me.In a rare moment of Mommy niceness, I asked the kids if they wanted to make a chocolate cake, which they did and did a good job at it. After I put the cake in the oven, I let them lick the bowl and found Emmanuel with his head in the bowl. "Emmanuel, what are you doing?" "Mommy it is so delicious, I have to get it all." He is now using the laundry baskets as hurdles.

1 comment:

Nancy said...

If you call making a hilarious 'weather' video, spending time with each of your kids separately, hosting a sleepover for Abegail's birthday with a darling sleepover cake, and being able to write about Scott's temporary disability with such humor, being 'not on your game", I hope you never get back on it, because there are just not enough hours in the day!! I am so proud of all that you do and your being able to keep your keep your sense of humor at the same time. How many hours does Scott still have to 'ride Bessie'? I just heard the weather report for your part of the country, and am hoping there really is a trip to Florida on the horizon!!!!

Love and hugs,
Nancy