Wednesday, July 14, 2010

E-man's Thank You's

After a full birthday party, it's time for Emmanuel to write Thank You's. But getting E-man to do this is probably more painful than banging your head against the wall. We did get one done last night and it went like this.

Mommy: E-man, do you remember why we write Thank You's??
E-man: Because you make us.
M: No. Well yes, but we do it to show people how much we appreciate how thoughtful they were right?
E: Yea, right
M: OK, let's start, To..
E: To what?
M: let's write TO, T...
E: I need a Popsicle.
M: You don't need a Popsicle
E: I can't write T without a Popsicle.
(E-man goes to get a popsicle)
M: E-man you're eating two freeze pops at once?
E: Yea.
M: OK, T
E: T
M: O
E: What color is my tongue?
M: It's orange, please write O
E: O
M: now we are going to write Riley.
(E-man chomps more on his popsicle)
M: R
E: Now what color is my tongue?
M: It's green and orange now, please write R
E: R
M: I
E: I
M: L
E: How do you do a L?
M: Like this, a long line and a short line at the end.
E: Show me
M: Like this
E: Oh yea, L
M: E
E: I know that one, E
M: Y
E: Y
Chomps more on popsicle
M: Now we are going to write Thank you
E: Why?
M: Because we are doing thank you notes, and we are going to say thank you.
E: Abegail!! Look at this, what color is my tongue??
M: Abegail and Annie please go down stairs
(popsicle begins to drip on the thank you note)
M: E-man please write T
E: Why?
M: Because we are writing Thank you
E: T
M: H
E: H
M: A
E: I need another popsicle
M: You do not need another popsicle come on...
(E-man finishes the juice on his freeze pop)
M: whistles yoo hoo
E: What are you doing?
M: I'm making a bird call
E: Why are you making a bird call?
M: I'm trying to get your attention, now we are on A, please write an A
E: A
M: N
E: I have to get another popsicle
M: No, after you finish you can get another popsicle
E: Mommy, I can not write these Thank you notes without another popsicle.
(goes to get another freeze pop)
M: E-man you are eating three freeze pops at once?
E: Yea, cool huh?
M: OK, we are on N
E: N
M: K
E: uh, K, oh yea K
M: Now we are going to do You, Y
E: Y
M: O
E: Mommy, what color is my tongue?
M: It's green, come on O
E: Green, wait, I have to go look in the mirror.
(goes to look in the mirror)
M: OK we are on O
E: O??
M: Yes, O.
E: Mommy, is my tongue really green?
M: Yes, it's really green, now O
E: O
M: OK, Now we are going to do For, F
E: How do you do F again??
M: An E without the bottom line
E: you mean this line
M: No this line
E: Now I messed up.
M: It's OK, put an X on that and try again.
E: I can't try again, I messed up.
M: It's OK, come on.
E: F
M: O
E: Do you think it's cool I have a green tongue?
M: Yes, I've always wanted a son with a green tongue, now write an O please!
E: O
M: R
E: What's an R again?
M: R, like this
E: OK R
(more popsicle juice drips on thank you)
M: now we are going to do My-M
(E-man staring in space)
M: whistles, yoo hoo..
E: You calling birds again??
M: No, I'm trying to get you to concentrate, M
E: M
M: Y
E: Y, oh, yea Y
M: OK, now we are going to write present.
E: I really like Riley's hair. Can I have hair like Riley's??
M: No, come on we are on P
E: P??? Why can't I have hair like Riley's?
M: Because that's not how you were made. Come on E-man, P
E: P? What's a P?
M: Half a B.
E: Oh yea, P
M: R
E: R
M: E
E: Mommy, I'm so tired.
M: Come on we are getting there
E: E
M: S
E: I can't do it, I'm just so tired, it's taking so long
M: Come on we are getting there. S
E: S, is that a good S?
M: That's a great S, and S is a hard letter to do. Now E
E: This is taking so long...You do the rest.
M: No, E-man, we are almost done. E
E: E
M: N
E: N
M: T
E: I CAN NOT DO IT! I'm so tired, I have to go to bed.
M: Come on, you are doing very well. we are almost done. Do T Please.
E: T
M: OK, now all you have to do is Love, Emmanuel
E: Love??? I don't Love Riley.
M: OK, how about from-F
E: This is the last one I'm doing, you do the rest of the notes, F
M: R
E: R? Oh yea, R
M: O
E: O
M: Very good, now M
E: M
M: OK, now write your name
E: Can I sleep with you, since I did my Thank you notes?
M: No, and you just did one Thank you note, you have 7 more to go.
E: I'm not doing it then. And I'm not doing any more.
M: Emmanuel, please just write your name
E: I can't, I'm so tired. It's taking so long.
M: Please Eman, just write E-man
E: NOoooo, finally writes Emmanuel
M: great thanks so much, that's very good.
E: So every night I write my thank you notes, I can sleep with you??
M: Maybe.

The end result: To Riley, Thank you for my present. From Emmanuel

5 comments:

The Googeg's said...

Oh My! I don't think I have that much patience! You are a saint.

DEB

Valerie said...

Sue again I am certain you have a cape and fly out of phone booths.... wonder woman!!!

The Johnson Family of Seven said...

SO much patience! You are so so good :)

Doodle's Diary said...

I love it! Reading that made me feel like I was back teaching first grade again. Eman sounds like he's the king of distractions! :) Way to hang in there, Sue!

Nancy said...

Your story of E-man and the thank you notes made me laugh out loud, but then I wasn't the one sitting there with him, dictating the letters and watching the popsicle juice drop on the note cards. Sue doesn't this make you think again about your obsession with thank you notes. I remember once having to tell you that you didn't need to write me a thank you note for the thank you note I had sent you, because that would require me to write you another thank you note!
But you do have the patience of a saint!
Love you,
Nancy