Friday, June 24, 2011

Abegail's Personal Heroes

At Abegail's school, they have two different teachers. One for math and science and the other for social studies, reading, and writing. Abegail liked them both but her afternoon teacher, Ms. Pixton had a baby in February and was out for the rest of the year.
Abegail came home one day and said, "We got a new teacher, Mr. Sullivan. He is very strict. He calls us young lady and young man."

Every day Abegail came home with more stories about Mr. Sullivan. The stories changed from being scared of her new teacher to wanting to do well for him.
Turns out Mr. Sullivan is a tall, basketball tall, African American man. He is the first black teacher Abegail has had. And he has a gift. He wasn't a teacher traditionally but retired and now subs in. He has two grown children and he would tell the kids how they went to the best school in the country, William and Mary, because they worked hard.

By the end of the year, Mr. Sullivan had the children writing essays. You saw the one about Liberia. She also wrote a poem about her violin and how it made her feel to play. The last essay was on her personal hero.

Let's keep in mind, Abegail is not getting easier to parent. Scott and I describe her in two words, high maintenance. She wants the best and when she wants something she doesn't stop asking until she gets the answer she is looking for. This can go on for weeks. She has expensive taste and her room, well it's never as neat as the picture I posted a few days ago. She can sulk with the best of them. She should be in an Olympic competition for eye rolling and sighing. I have just started stressing with her that time is precious. Minutes are precious and the time she has to sit with me on the couch should not be wasted sulking.

Abegail's Personal Heros
See the .pdf file

When Abegail told me she had to write about her personal hero, I immediately thought of who is my personal hero for her. Turns out she thought the same thing. Abegail has a good soul and somewhere in that preteen attitude, she realizes some very adult concepts and she is appreciative. So here it is, Abegail's personal heroes:
My personal heroes are my Mama and Papa because they did something that most other parents wouldn't do. They gave away their two youngest children. It was hard for them but they did it. Because they wanted what was best for us. They wanted us to have a better education and live in a better environment.

Now that I live in a better world I can do all these things and grow as a better person. Another thing I have thought during my life is that they send me here to work hard and dream big and realize these things are not gonna come to me. I have to work hard every chance that I get.

I have wonderful friends that I can count on and that I can be there for them and they can be there for me. Even though my Mama and Papa are not here I still have wonderful parents that take care of me and that love me and they want what's best for me. Even when I don't think that's best for me. They always say they love me to the moon and back.

I'm so glad that I get to talk to my sisters and brothers and parents in Africa. I have four brothers and two sisters and one niece. My brothers' names are small Alex, Levi (who died), Aaron, and as you all know my little brother Emmanuel. My sisters' names are Belinda and Esther. My niece's name is Florence. The reason why we call my brother small Alex is because he is named for my Dad, Alexander. My mom's name is Alice.

My Mama and Papa are my personal heroes because they made me what I am today. Most people in the world pick celebrities as their hero, but I pick my Mama and Papa. I am having a wonderful life. That is my essay of my personal hero.

3 comments:

gretchen said...

oh goodness. too precious for words. beautiful.

I am pretty sure she will one day write about you and Scott as well, and how you enabled her to keep that connection to her family in Liberia.

And, oh goodness, the preteen years. Oh to go for coffee therapy together for it. :)

Mrs. Tuna said...

Girls with drama can go up and down. Stick with it and once they are adults you'll appreciate it. Your children look lovely.

The Johnson Family of Seven said...

Darling, sweet heart she has.