Tuesday, May 14, 2013

To the Dogs....

 I was never a dog person.  My view of a dog was an animal that walked outside stepped in the mud, its own pee, and poop and then walked through your house.  Not the cleanest thing I thought.  As a reporter I cringed every time I had to do a dog story.  Don't you know there are thousands of missing children out there and we are reporting on dogs?  But the viewers loved the dog stories and we used to joke if there is a dog running through anything anywhere it will make the news.

That was.. until I started dog sitting.  I started as a favor to a friend who had nowhere else to put her dogs and no money to put them anywhere. I thought, "the kids want a dog, I'll give them one for a few days, then they can be quiet."

But that turned out to be pretty fun and then I took another friend's puppy.  This dog loved to run away.
But he was so happy when he came back I didn't mind.

After several trips (it happened to be election season) I was a full blown dog sitter.  So when I wanted to make money I had an idea, "I should get paid for this!"

Since Christmas Richardson Family Pet sitting has watched 28 different dogs.  Many have come back to our circus two and three times.

We've had dogs with allergies, dogs with anxiety, dogs with intenstinal issues (Annie refers to them as farting problems), dogs who need heart vitamins, dogs who only drink bottled water, dogs with one eye, rescue dogs, hyper dogs, calm dogs, a dog that could have been a small horse who drooled as much as his 165 pound weight, even a dog who was the same breed as the President's flown in from Nebraska..

Many dogs come to my bedside and wake me up in the night when they have to go.  Many dogs come to my bedside and wake me up at the exact time their owner gets up.  Really?  That many people get up before 6 a.m.?  We've had puppies, and chewers, and shoe lovers, and jumpers, and snugglers.

We each have a favorite.  A blonde golden doodle did it for me.  So friendly, hugged me, always came and gave me a smile.  Eman likes the three pound dog.  He's fascinated with her.  Annie likes the dog we had last best.  Do we have a veterinarian in the making?  Every time a dog leaves she says, "oh I wish so and so was here."
Abegail's favorite is Gucci (yes the bottled water dog-dogs and people with expensive taste must stick together.)

We have learned together that we love dogs.  Dogs are healing and happy and while our house is a little nuts (currently there are four dogs at my feet) we are so grateful for our many pets. 
There is a country song that goes like this:
He never tells me that he's sick of this house He never says, "Why don't you get off that couch?"He don't cost me nothin' when he wants to go out I want you to love me like my dog
He never says I need a new attitude Him and my sister ain't always in a feud When I leave the seat up, he don't think that's rude I want you to love me like my dog does baby
When I come home want you to just go crazy He never looks at me like he might hate me I want you to love me like my dog
He never acts like he don't care for my friends He never asks me "Where 'n the hell have you been?" He don't play dead when I want to pet him I want you to love my like my dog does, honey
He never says, "I wish you made more money" He always thinks that pull my finger's funny I want you to love me like my dog
He don't get made at me and throw a major fit When I say his sister is a....
I want you to love me like my dog does, baby When I come home, want you to just go crazy He never looks at me like he might hate me I want you to love me like my dog
I want you to love me like my dog does, baby

I think I will rate every contact I have in the future based on dogs.

3 comments:

Googeg Tribe said...

Wow. You are such a nurturer. We have a dog of our own. Really old (like 14) beagle mix. He doesn't go for that fancy bottled water stuff -- we can't keep him out of the toilet and if we don't take precautions he's into trash can diving when we are not home. It doesn't do any good to yell at him -- he's also deaf and he even takes arthritis medicine.

So glad that you are all enjoying your new enterprise.

DEB

John wright said...

Best Assignment help and homework help provider,over 10,000 assignments delivered.Nearly 4,000 hours of Online Tutoring serviced counting.Get Expert Help Now

Kevin Robert said...

I was very encouraged to find this site. I wanted to thank you for this special read. I definitely savored every little bit of it and I have bookmarked you to check out new stuff you post. Online Assignment help Services